z

Young Writers Society



Dead Lights 1/2

by Sumi H. Inkblot


I don't remember how long ago it started. Maybe it didn't begin, and I was simply born with it, but either way, it hurt. A lot.

When I spread my hands in the morning, my skin felt stiff and unresponsive, and I fumbled to get dressed. When I turned my face to the sun, my bones seemed to wither and brittle all at once and I fell frequently.

My parents thought it was funny. “Our darling little klutz, our butterfingers,” they would say, and snatch me up in a hug. My stoniness didn't seem to bother them, but I hated myself for not being alive enough to feel the warmth of their bodies as they hugged me or the texture of their skin as they held my hands. But at the same time, I was puzzled by the grace of other children. With the naivety only possessed by a child, I thought we were all the same, and wondered how they could run and shout so joyfully in the sunlight.

I hated sunlight. The dry heat made me feel like a statue, its beams poked sharply into my vision and it was like being forced into drowsiness. Evening was the only time I felt particularly alive; my skin seemed to soften in cool moonlight. The stars – dead light, as books said – cast tiny shadows, and the urge to run and sing was overwhelming at times. Sometimes all I could do was stare at the night sky and weep with happiness at the sudden life in my bones. More often, I was dragged inside screaming by my parents, clawing at their arms and begging any being to keep me outside, where the dead lights shone.

It was hard to sleep when so much music of the night would flood in through my bedroom window, hundreds of little voices beckoning me into the welcoming arms of darkness. A tall tree stood near my window, and as I slowly got older, I would dream of falling like a feather from the sill, a solemn giant catching me with leafy hands and placing me gently on the ground.

For a very long time, I tried to turn this dream to reality. I convinced my mother to let me take a gymnastics class, but that was in vain. With the sun peeking in through the high windows of the gym, my muscles refused to move, my hands twitched and I stammered in apology as my knees shook and collapsed beneath me.

I was taken to a doctor, who said that there was nothing wrong. I wanted to laugh at him. Couldn't he feel the rough insensitivity of my skin or see the way the cold sun bleached my hair a deathly white after only a few minutes? Or even the way I trembled as the day intensified? They called it a psychological problem. Heliophobia, they said. Someone asked me why I begged for lessons, but refused to participate. If my own parents could not understand the evil I felt in sunlight, how could this stranger? I was silent.

On a rainy night not long after, I realized that the people of the day had nothing for me. So I jumped with the energy of a dark rainfall from the window, catching onto a damp branch with sudden, miraculous strength.

It was like being reborn into a black shadow that twists and bends in the dead light it receives, not leashed by gravity. I walked as a phantom through the streets and yards, my fingers and hands – so sensitive, suddenly, to feel the pores on a leaf – elongated and bent by streetlights and passing cars. I slithered through the damp grasses, played hide-and-seek with mischievous breezes and watched the rain fall from the heavens. I peeked in on animals in their little nests and watched over a sleeping cat and her kittens. It was all in kaleidoscopic clarity, an exhilarating eclipse of night and day, and the dead light's eyes followed me from behind the veil of clouds. I threw aside all earthly cares.

But then dawn began to peer over the horizon, its dreadful pink eyes staring at me reproachfully from where I sat near a sparrow's nest. Birds were waking up, and the roar of cars from the highway came through the haze of joy. The uncomfortable feeling of inflexibility and the daily torture of light crept over me again, and I knew I had to get back to my room.

Over the years, I continued to wander about in the night, letting the winds caress my hair or the night-bugs crawl over my arms. I never seemed to sleep, but I certainly never dreamed. Being alive was almost a trade for being dead – but what human being can descend to death to live again?

Summer was the worst. Even in the comforting sheaths of darkness, after the sun had died, its spirit seemed to linger, warping my essence and making my instincts tingle with fear. Though fireflies joined me in the early evening, it was strange to have other beings in the dead light's shadows. Sometimes we would talk, but I seemed to put them at unease, and they scared me. Why would they need the dead light? I wanted their beautiful eyes on me, watching me become alive every evening, not for the little creatures that spun and wove their own light.

In the day, it seemed like thousands of invisible insect feet crawled over my skin, even in shadows. The sound of their spectral clickers filled my ears and their undespairing servitude brought hopelessness to my soul. They were slaves to day and the bread of anxious toil, chained to my skin and all bathed in a unfiltered light; their faith in the sun itself frightened me. But there was no escape, only a brief respite granted by water.

At first it began with constant handwashing. Cool liquid falling over dry skin – as if somehow the night dew found its way into the house. After a while, soap was foresaken entirely and I would simply stand with my hands beneath the torrent, trying to rub the sweet, cold medicine permanently into my hands.

My hands chafed, and then bled. I smiled at the pain as water ran and mingled with my blood in the sink.

That I managed to hide from my parents. The relief between trips to the bathroom began to grow less and less. One day, the unseen steps across my body grew too much, and I jumped into a rain puddle, rolling and splashing like a dog. It was a hundred times better with all the strength soaking through my hair and into my scalp, splattered across my arms.

When I came home, I was punished and eventually sent to a therapist.

There was nothing wrong with me.

So what was wrong?

_________________

Cra-cra-crackatastic!

A bit tell-y, yes?

I have my doubts about this piece. It's been completed, we'll see how people react before I post 2/2, which is equally bizarre.

What I'm looking for comments is mostly on style and your reactions, if you please! I'm pretty sure I've avoided most grammatical pratfalls.

>.>

So, uh...

Yeah, if you want 2/2, please say so. And rip. Do rip.

~Sumi


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
57 Reviews


Points: 6757
Reviews: 57

Donate
Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:19 am
narniafreak12 wrote a review...



Whoa that was awesome! I totally could "see" the character and feel what he/she was feeling. I've never read anything like it though I did like it. And I am NOT just saying that because you are my friend. It's kind of weird but knowing me I like weird stuff. One thing I don't like is I didn't get any names of anybody and sometimes that really bothers me because I need a name with the face. Other than that it was good and I can't wait to read the second part. I really like the imagery and feel of the words because it helps bring the story to life. :D :P




User avatar
13 Reviews


Points: 989
Reviews: 13

Donate
Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:14 am
shadepelt says...



it's incredible. you better post 2/2 or I will set my attack kittens on you! ;)




User avatar
42 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 42

Donate
Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:45 pm
RowanHowler wrote a review...



Hello,

Hah, I know this will sound odd, but I felt this way as a child and still do sometimes. I much prefer night or at least twilight to day.

I expected the clown from King's "IT" to pop out in this story after reading the title, lol.


So I jumped with the energy of a dark rainfall from the window- I like your trippy imagery :).

ok, so for style . . .I liked it. it's like floating through a nightmare but then seeing flashes of reality. I'm never quite sure if this person is supernatural or just very sick. I don't really want to know, either. This in between plot fits the rambling, imagery packed writing well. It's unique.



Suggestions

When I turned my face to the sun, my bones seemed to wither and brittle - brittle isn't a verb.

You have sort of an introspective appeal going on here. I like it but I think it should be enhanced even more. WHy does the character like that the stars are called dead lights. Even a child like this should recognize how creepy that is, so explain it.

you've got some run ons so I'd go through ad change those.

I never seemed to sleep, but I certainly never dreamed. Being alive was almost a trade for being dead – but what human being can descend to death to live again?- this part confused me a bit. i think it could be reworded for clarity.

when so much music of the night- careful with this phrase, it's too phantom of the opera for me to ignore. Maybe "night music"




User avatar
280 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 280

Donate
Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:13 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...



:*glomps Tinny*: XD

Thank you, all of you! Gosh, reading all your comments, I'm wondering how you slogged through this. o.O

I'm not going to start the editing process until I've [s]made you read[/s] gotten comments on 2/2, (for reasons to be revealed with 2/2) but this really opened my eyes. Gruh, teh purple! It hurts me now. xD

Though for now, I'd like to address a few things brought up.

Brittle
It sounds cool as a verb, okay? XD

Vampire
No, s/he's not a vampire.

The Narrator
...Remains genderless. I think you'll be biased towards one side after 2/2, but for these kinds of things I don't want the character to be bound by sex.

2/2 / Editing
Will be up by tomorrow, hopefully. I won't start editing until I get comments for 2, because ... You'll understand when you read 2/2. :P

For now, though, a bajillion thank yous to all who've 'tiqued and will 'tique. I'll probably bother you with the second draft as well. :P And if you need a critique from me, I'm just a PM away. And I owe you about a million of them anyway.

Thanks again!
~Sumi




User avatar
40 Reviews


Points: 1072
Reviews: 40

Donate
Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:48 am
Iya Ythmir wrote a review...



It has loads of potential. No, scratch that - tons and heaps and truckfulls of it. I can almost connect to the character, poor thing. Only (and this is one big ONLY) you tell us more than you show.

I thought that the kid was an albino, then it shifted to some supernatural character but not really thinking about vampires.

I'm looking forward to the second part! :wink:




User avatar
189 Reviews


Points: 3183
Reviews: 189

Donate
Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:28 pm
tinny wrote a review...



Oh, Sumi; I always love your crack. ♥


I don't remember how long ago it started. Maybe it didn't begin, and I was simply born with it, but either way, it hurt. A lot.


I think this part is kinda redundant. It's swirled conflicting thoughts that, as yet, have nothing solid behind them--we don't know anything about 'it' yet--and so it just leave me feeling sorta confused.


When I spread my hands in the morning, my skin felt stiff and unresponsive, and I fumbled to get dressed. When I turned my face to the sun, my bones seemed to wither and brittle all at once and I fell frequently.


I think remove the first comma? Or even both in that sentence. Brittle and withered seem like they don't fit together well; I see brittle as being something that could crumble easily and withered as something that has more lost it's stength, although that really could just be me >___>.

Also, this confused me too (this may be because it's somewhat late) The first sentance made me think that we were in a more descriptive of-what's-happening-now sorta thing, so I imagined the kid in the bed clenching and relaxing a fist, and then the next thing stood outside in the sunlight, it left me a bit 'eh what?' so perhaps if you made it clearer that it's not linked to the direct present (maybes 'my skin would feel stiff and unresponsive) Also, I realise I'm ranting already.


My parents thought it was funny. “Our darling little klutz, our butterfingers,” they would say, and snatch me up in a hug. My stoniness didn't seem to bother them, but I hated myself for not being alive enough to feel the warmth of their bodies as they hugged me or the texture of their skin as they held my hands. But at the same time, I was puzzled by the grace of other children. With the naivety only possessed by a child, I thought we were all the same, and wondered how they could run and shout so joyfully in the sunlight.


The highlighted part seems to be a little superfluous, mostly beacue you use 'but' and yet it doesn't seem to link or move to contradict any point you made in the previous sentance. Also, unrelated bu at this point I'm seeing kid that doesn't like the light and feels ill in it and I'm thinking some kind of light phobia?


I hated sunlight. The dry heat made me feel like a statue, its beams poked sharply into my vision and it was like being forced into drowsiness.


I have an odd vision defect; my pupils are too large. It means that in bright light too much gets into my eves and damages the pigments at the back of my retina; so I my expericence that having beams of light poking into my eyes doesn't bring about drowsiness, it brings about massive head-aches and the sensation of having really dry eyes #__ #


The stars – dead light, as books said – cast tiny shadows, and the urge to run and sing was overwhelming at times.


This beginning sentance feels messy, I had to read it a couple of times before I could work it out.


More often, I was dragged inside screaming by my parents, clawing at their arms and begging any being to keep me outside, where the dead lights shone.


where the dead lights shone = ♥


...I accidently his the back key and it ate all everything I said after this (and the first time I went to say this it ate it again) so I might come back and add more if I realise I've forgotten something #__ _#


It was hard to sleep when so much music of the night would flood in through my bedroom window, hundreds of little voices beckoning me into the welcoming arms of darkness.


I like music of the night because far too often it's portrayed as being something bad, but in this case it's something good. My only issue is with the 'welcoming arms of darkness' because it sounds a bit 'come to the darkside' to me.


Iwas taken to a doctor, who said that there was nothing wrong. I wanted to laugh at him. Couldn't he feel the rough insensitivity of my skin or see the way the cold sun bleached my hair a deathly white after only a few minutes? Or even the way I trembled as the day intensified? They called it a psychological problem. Heliophobia, they said. Someone asked me why I begged for lessons, but refused to participate. If my own parents could not understand the evil I felt in sunlight, how could this stranger? I was silent.


Heliophobi! Haha! *feels clever* Anyhoo, a phobia is recognised as being something very different to a regular fear because of the intense reactions that it creates. So while there isn't anything wrong with them, it can create a physical symptom. It feels a little like the doctors and the parents are brushing off the phobia as something trivial when I think that it would be recognised as something more serious.

Also, kinda unrelated, but Heliophobia is the term for both the fear of light, and for suffering from a genuine oversensitivity to lights, and I guess seeing it from the narrators point of view, both seem to fit.


I peeked in on animals in their little nests and watched over a sleeping cat and her kittens.


Cats are mostly nocturnal creatures XD


Sometimes we would talk, but I seemed to put them at unease, and they scared me. Why would they need the dead light? I wanted their beautiful eyes on me, watching me become alive every evening, not for the little creatures that spun and wove their own light.


I really like this, that the narrator's fear of light is so great that they're unnerved by even the light from fireflies. I also like the selfishness coming through.


The sound of their spectral clickers filled my ears and their undespairing servitude brought hopelessness to my soul.


What? I really have no idea what to make of that :oops:


My hands chafed, and then bled.


Could the power from tap-water do that? Or are you implying that they're doing something else to their hands? I know of people with cleanliness OCD that use scouring pads to try and get the germs off their hands which is excessive but yeah. Lost my point there sorry.


When I came home, I was punished and eventually sent to a therapist.


That sounds like going to the therapist is the punishment while I tihnk it's something that would have happened a short while after?


There was nothing wrong with me.

So what was wrong?


I thought that from the earlier comparison of the narrator to the other children and the disagreement with the doctor what there was nothing wrong, that they believed that there was something wrong with them. So this seems a bit contradictory.


It is very telly in places and only seems to have a somewhat loose plot. That said, I quite likes it in that it made me pretty curious, and I'm still curious to know what happens next and how this is, or isn't resolved. I'm also curious to know why this is in fantasy fiction?

But yes, more please *grabby hands*




User avatar
203 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 203

Donate
Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:53 pm
October Girl says...



This story is well, pretty good ^_^ I love your avvie by the way. The title really drew me in, great job two thumbs up :lol:

-Max




User avatar
137 Reviews


Points: 3214
Reviews: 137

Donate
Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:25 pm
Bittersweet wrote a review...



Funny, but I didn't find this "cracktastic" at all. xD It is... unique, but that's what I loved. I've never read anything told like this, and I'm very curious about this heliophobia, if that's indeed what the MC has. I do agree, it is a bit tell-y and I think you described his thoughts and feelings about the subject too often. But what you did describe was lovely, nonetheless. Very interesting and poetic. I love the way you descibe the night. You make it sound so magical and soft and blissful. Anyway, I think a bit of serious editing should definitely remove all doubts you have about this piece. PM me if you do, because I would love to review it again!

Holly




User avatar
53 Reviews


Points: 1040
Reviews: 53

Donate
Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:46 am
Avens Dolor wrote a review...



You request a rip? Oh the horror! Careful what you wish for, when Avens is trolling the boards. ;)

Comments in red.

Sumi H. Inkblot wrote:I don't remember how long ago it started. Maybe it didn't begin, and I was simply born with it, but either way, it hurt. A lot. Did it start, or didn't it? Were you born with it, or weren't you? You can't say that you were born with it and then say that it hurt. You obviously remember it hurting, thus you should remember when it started.

When I spread my hands in the morning, my skin felt stiff and unresponsive, and I fumbled to get dressed. When I turned my face to the sun, my bones seemed to wither and brittle all at once and I fell frequently.
Bones cannot "brittle". Things cannot "brittle" Things can be brittle; they can become brittle, but brittle is not a verb.


My parents thought "that it", technically it was funny. “Our darling little klutz, our butterfingers,” they would say, and snatch me up in a hug. Man. His (Is it a his? I shall assume so as you have not stated) parents are awful. How many parents would do that to their child, if he came downstairs and told them it hurt to move? If they didn't rush him to the clinic, I would be shocked. My stoniness didn't seem to bother them, but I hated myself for not being alive enough to feel the warmth of their bodies as they hugged me or the texture of their skin as they held my hands. But at the same time, I was puzzled by the grace of other children. With the naivety only possessed by a child, I thought we were all the same, and wondered how they could run and shout so joyfully in the sunlight. If he thought that they were all the same, then why would he wonder at/notice the differences? You can't have it both ways: either he knows he's different, or he thinks all children are like him.

I hated sunlight. The dry heat made me feel like a statue, its beams poked sharply into my vision and it was like being forced into drowsiness. Usually something poking into your vision would make you more alert. How many times has someone flipped the lights on in the middle of the night and made you go "Oh well, guess I'm exhausted now"? Evening was the only time I felt particularly alive; my skin seemed to soften in cool moonlight. The stars – dead light, as books said Child or not child? If he is a child, why would he be talking about dead light? A very grown-up phrase. If it is the adult remembering, he would write "dead light, as books say". – cast tiny shadows, and the urge to run and sing was overwhelming at times. But he only feels "particularly" alive? Sometimes all I could do was stare at the night sky and weep with happiness at the sudden life in my bones. More often, I was dragged inside screaming by my parents, clawing at their arms and begging any being to keep me outside, where the dead lights shone. But his parents do nothing? Someone call child services.

It was hard to sleep when so much music of the night would flood in through my bedroom window, hundreds of little voices beckoning me into the welcoming arms of darkness. This sentence is just too long. A tall tree stood near my window, and as I slowly got older, I would dream of falling like a feather from the sill, a solemn giant catching me with leafy hands and placing me gently on the ground. This sentence is convoluted. You have to mention that the tree is the "solem giant" or "a" will refer back to "I", the speaker.

For a very long time, I tried to turn this dream to reality. I convinced my mother to let me take a gymnastics class, but that was in vain. With the sun peeking in through the high windows of the gym, my muscles refused to move, my hands twitched and I stammered in apology as my knees shook and collapsed beneath me. And still the parents do nothing. And the instructor does nothing. Jeez.

I was taken to a doctor Finally. , who said that there was nothing wrong. I wanted to laugh at him. Couldn't he feel the rough insensitivity of my skin or see the way the cold sun bleached my hair a deathly white after only a few minutes? The sun bleaches his hair in minutes and the doctor is okay with that? Not likely. Or even the way I trembled as the day intensified? They called it a psychological problem. Heliophobia, they said. Does Heliophobia bleach your hair? No. Someone asked me why I begged for lessons, but refused to participate. If my own parents could not understand the evil I felt in sunlight, how could this stranger? I was silent. More importantly, how does this stranger know about the kid begging for lessons and then not participating? Creepy stalker alert!

On a rainy night not long after "long after" what? After the doctor visit? After the stalker visit?, I realized that the people of the day had nothing for me. So I jumped with the energy of a dark rainfall from the window, catching onto a damp branch with sudden, miraculous strength. This is just a very long sentence fragment.

It was like being reborn into a black shadow that twists and bends in the dead light it receives, not leashed by gravity. I walked as a phantom through the streets and yards, my fingers and hands – so sensitive, suddenly, to feel the pores on a leaf – elongated and bent by streetlights and passing cars. I slithered through the damp grasses, played hide-and-seek with mischievous Extra space. breezes and watched the rain fall from the heavens. I peeked in on animals in their little nests and watched over a sleeping cat and her kittens. It was all in kaleidoscopic clarity, an exhilarating eclipse of night and day, and the dead light's eyes followed me from behind the veil of clouds. I threw aside all earthly cares. Technically, this is all correct. Conceptually, it's all fine. I'm just not feeling the same joy this kid supposedly is. Show me. Don't tell.

But then dawn began to peer over the horizon, its dreadful pink eyes staring at me reproachfully from where I sat near a sparrow's nest. Birds were waking up, and the roar of cars from the highway came through the haze of joy. The uncomfortable feeling of inflexibility and the daily torture of light crept over me again, and I knew I had to get back to my room.
I think there should be parent reaction at their little baby crawling drenched through his bedroom window.

Over the years, I continued to wander about in the night, letting the winds caress my hair or the night-bugs crawl over my arms. I never seemed to sleep, but I certainly never dreamed. What? This makes no sense. If he doesn't sleep, how can he dream? Being alive was almost a trade for being dead – but what human being can descend to death to live again? This also makes no sense. I don't at all know what he means.

Summer was the worst. Even in the comforting sheaths of darkness, after the sun had died, its spirit seemed to linger, warping my essence and making my instincts tingle with fear. Though fireflies joined me in the early evening, it was strange to have other beings in the dead light's shadows. Sometimes we would talk, but I seemed to put them at unease, and they scared me. Why would they need the dead light? I wanted their beautiful eyes on me, watching me become alive every evening, not for the little creatures that spun and wove their own light. So he can suddenly talk to animals? This was never mentioned before.

In the day, it seemed like thousands of invisible insect feet crawled over my skin, even in shadows. The sound of their spectral clickers filled my ears and their undespairing servitude brought hopelessness to my soul. They were slaves to day and the bread of anxious toil, chained to my skin and all bathed in a unfiltered light; their faith in the sun itself frightened me. But there was no escape, only a brief respite granted by water. The water thing is random. The rest is really wordy.

At first it began with constant handwashing. Cool liquid falling over dry skin – as if somehow the night dew found its way into the house. After a while, soap was foresaken entirely and I would simply stand with my hands beneath the torrent, trying to rub the sweet, cold medicine permanently into my hands.
My hands chafed, and then bled. I smiled at the pain as water ran and mingled with my blood in the sink. What?

That I managed to hide from my parents. How? The bleeding would leave huge scars! The relief between trips to the bathroom began to grow less and less. One day, the unseen steps across my body grew too much, and I jumped into a rain puddle, rolling and splashing like a dog. It was a hundred times better with all the strength soaking through my hair and into my scalp, splattered across my arms.
When I came home, I was punished and eventually sent to a therapist.

There was nothing wrong with me. Trust me. The therapist would find something wrong.

So what was wrong?
The repetition of the word "wrong" does not work here.


Let me guess. He's a vampire.

If he's not a vampire, disclose this quickly, as he's acting awfully vampire-esque.

Very, very telly. I need emotion. I need a connection.

I also need to know what the heck is wrong with all of the adults. Someone, somewhere, would find an excuse for what is going on. A better one than a phobia, as there a physical characteristics. And the therapist? Imagine this conversation:

Therapist: So, how are you feeling?
Boy: Like there are a million bugs crawling on me.
Therapist: ...Well that's not good.

Or, conversely:

Therapist: So, how are you feeling?
Boy: Refuses to answer
Therapist: He won't talk. There must be childhood trauma.

If he lies to the therapist to get a green light, then you have to explain why he lies. This is a child, who knows that he's different from other children, and we, the readers, need to know whether he loves or hates this difference. You indicate that he hates it (although you also indicate that he deals with it, so this needs to be clarified).
If he hates it, why is he not pushing harder to get it fixed?

Despite the logical fallacies, this has potential.
Let me know when you post up the second draft.




User avatar
105 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 105

Donate
Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:41 am



Oh, post part two, please post part two! You're right, it was bizarre, but fabulous. In a way it felt a little creepy. All grammar is correct, and I think you have a wonderful style here. Can't wait to read the next bit!




User avatar
52 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 52

Donate
Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:02 am
Echolair wrote a review...



Regarding the grammars and shiz, i have no doubts. However....


Not a bit but all out TELLY. I'm afraid i liked the start although i was attacked yet again by a mishmash of doubts and thoughts as i further read. The early paragraphs caught the emotion very well, making the readers feel for the absurdly pitiful life the person struggles with but as it got on, it felt like you hung it for a drag read, explaining a bit too much, describing it a bit too much. Something like that would be good for a short video but not necessarily for writing it to patiently bore the readers. -_- Honestly though, the wording and just the words basically, are absolutely excellent. But that points out that it's better off as random, deadly-dull dictionary, right? But I see LOTS of potential so this is not meant to insult or tear you apart. Rather it is your cue to be better, 'cause you already have what it takes.

Kudos.

CHASE. GBV6/23/08





Who wants to become a writer? And why? Because it’s the answer to everything. It’s the streaming reason for living. To note, to pin down, to build up, to create, to be astonished at nothing, to cherish the oddities, to let nothing go down the drain, to make something, to make a great flower out of life, even if it’s a cactus.
— Enid Bagnold